Sunday, January 4, 2009

the story behind our 3 Christmas gifts

I've always thought that it would be good for Christmas not to get too much. I wanted it to be a time that we could remember the Savior's birth. From a friend of a friend, I heard the idea to do 3 gifts for Christmas - a gift of love, a gift of need, and a gift of want.

Gift of love - These gifts are gifts of the heart, sometimes homemade, but ones that tell our children how much we love them.

This year my children received different gifts - Faith's was vinyl (see the post below) for her wall to remind who was she is; Dawson's was a toothfairy box (a tin that I made) so hopefully he can start losing teeth and earning cash; and Kate's was a toy that she can put in and take out because she LOVES to do this and because Mom didn't have time to finish her baby cross stitch. These gifts are gifts of the heart, sometimes homemade, but ones that tell our children how much we love them.




Gift of need is pretty much anything that he or she needs, new jeans, school supplies, etc. Our children received a backpack with their 72 hour kit. This is a need.

Gift of want - this is something that they want - not that you want! It could also be anything that they set their minds to and mom and dad can afford, right?

4 comments:

Sondra said...

Thanks for letting me know about the 3 gifts for Christmas. I really love the gift from the heart idea.

Great job on the 72 hour kit. I really got after grandma for not putting something easy together. It is something we really need to have on hand incase of an emergency. I would hate to have an emergency and we are NOT prepared because we didn't head the words of the prophet.

How did your baptism talk go on Saturday? I'm sure it was great!

Robyn said...

I think that is a great idea- one day I might try to do something like that for our family. Can you email me Sondra's email?

Autumn said...

I really like the three gift ideas I think it is an awesome idea!

McKenzie said...

Hey!! I found you finally! I loved your post about Christmas and wanted to thank you for the idea! I think it made our Christmas really special this year too!