Wednesday, December 8, 2010

REMEMBERING JESUS

Christmas has a way of sneaking up on you. I start in June, planning, buying, thinking. But then, before you know it, Brandon and I have had another anniversary, Thanksgiving dinner is on the table, and it's time to put up the tree. And then I look at the list ... my list ... and I wonder where all the time went.

Yesterday, as I went to some of my favorite blogs, I saw reminders of what Christmas is about.


It is about the birth of our Savior, not the beautifully wrapped presents.



It's about giving of ourselves and serving, not the jaw dropping decorations.


It's about spending time with family and those who matter most, not the twelve hour rainbow jello (which happens to be my favorite).


My Aunt Sondra put on her blog things we can do to put Christ back into Christmas.
(All ideas were from lds.org)

Replace some holiday decorations in your home with reminders of Christ.

Politely decline requests that will take you away from family.

Play more Christmas music.

Donate gently used items to a thrift store.

Go Christmas caroling.

Avoid “mad rush” shopping times.

Say thank you as often as possible.

Schedule a night to help another person or family.

Call someone you normally wouldn't to wish him or her a Merry Christmas.

Delegate some holiday preparations to children or other family members.

Trim the gift list.

Simplify a traditional activity.

Find quiet time to pray.

Write down great memories as they happen.

Set and stick to a holiday budget.

Forgive a grudge.

This one came from a blog that I go to on occasion - another faith promoting blog.
(I can't figure out how to get the whole videos - if you can help me, let me know!)

Where's the line to see Jesus?


And then, as I read the Sullengers post, I felt love. That love that you feel at Christmas time. Every Sunday, we watch one or two Mormon ads before/after our scripture time. This Sunday, I will share this one, and hope that they feel that special love that Jesus and our Heavenly Father have for each one of us.



So, now on to working on how to simplify the holidays. I would love to hear how you are doing it.

No comments: