Monday, December 13, 2010

THROAT NUGGETS

Last year, Faith missed 19 days of school due to illness. This summer, I had our doctor take a quick peek to tell me what he thought. We scheduled an appointment in November along with Miss Kate and headed down to Utah.

Here are the throat nuggets.


We did an x-ray, actually 3 because the guys couldn't get it right. There really wasn't much discussion with the doctor, except scheduling the date for surgery. (I happened to be thrilled about this because they were constantly covered in pus pockets, she was always complaining, and then she misses so much school.)

Middle of November came around and Faith was pretty anxious about the whole surgery. Just the word made her cringe. Brandon gave her a blessing to help calm her down. We asked for our family and friends to pray for her (thank you). We had help from our family with Dawson and Kate (thank you again guys!) and drove down that morning at 4:30 am.

Once there, she was given the Versed (a medicine that helps you relax). It did more than that, but since she is 10, we will save her from embarrassment. (Love you Faith!) Off she went to surgery. The doctor came out a little after an hour and told us that she did great. Not only were her tonsils huge and blocking her throat, but her sinuses were 80-90% blocked. No wonder that she couldn't breathe! The doctor told us that this was 'not elective', even though we didn't mention anything like that.

I asked to see the tonsils, I mean, throat nuggets after the surgery. (I know, I am weird. Faith tells me that everyday.) They looked like big bouncy balls with brains in them (that was the infection part.) Probably one of the worst things that I had ever seen.

Now we are about 4 weeks out and she is doing great. We went through a bunch of creamies - something that she wouldn't try for at least a week. (I know, she is weird. I tell her that everyday.)


Back to school, and better than new. Here is a post-op picture. (She wouldn't let me take a picture of her throat this time, but take my word for it --- no more throat nuggets!!!)




No comments: