Tuesday, October 9, 2012

MY TOP THREE - OCTOBER 2012

Every 6 months, I longingly wait and anticipate the opportunity to watch General Conference. To be able to hear the Prophet of God and other inspired leaders share messages from our Father in Heaven is truly a delight.

This year, I had a hard time deciding which talks were my top three.  There were SO many great speakers and messages.  I also loved every talk of the Relief Society General Session.  I can't wait to re-read each talk and highlight my ensign as we study these for our family home evenings.

So, in no particular order, here are my top three!

Sister Ann M. Dibb talked about her motto for living and loving the gospel.  After some thought, she came up with, "I'm a Mormon!  I know it, I live it, I love it!"  This talk reminded me that I should be proud to be a Mormon and to show it by the things that I do and the attitude I show as I do those things.  This talk will be one that I think I will remember for years to come.  You can read the rest of Sister Dibb's talk here.  (P.S.  Did you know that Sister Dibb is President Monson's daughter?)

President Monson's talk titled "Consider the Blessings" really touched me.  He spoke about the Kansas City Temple Cultural Celebration that occurred before the dedication.  The Jumbotron that would show pictures and tie everything together was not working during the rehearsals where thousands of youth were practicing for the first time.  They knelt on the floor just an hour before start time to call upon the Lord.  President Monson and everyone else there were unaware of the problems of the day because everything went as planned that evening.

President Monson stated, "I never cease to be amazed by how the Lord can motivate and direct the length and breadth of His kingdom and yet have time to provide inspiration concerning one individual --- or one cultural celebration or one Jumbotron.  The fact the He can, that He does, is a testimony to me."

President Eyring's talk in the Relief Society session titled "The Caregiver" was fantastic.  He shared a story about pioneer woman helping each other and then this question that was recorded from a sister.  "What comes next for willing hands to do?

He was also touched when, as a father and miles away, knew that his daughter was being watched over by a visiting teacher when her baby came 3 months early.

Speaking of Relief Society, he says, "The sisters make that possible by being slow to judge those going through trials.  Most people carrying heavy loads begin to doubt themselves and their own worth.  We ligthen their loads as we are patient with their weaknesses and celebrate whatever good ness we can see in them.  The Lord does that.  And we could follow His example --- He the greatest nurturer of all."

I encourage you to read these and all of the general conference talks at lds.org

No comments: