Thursday, September 6, 2012

GLACIER BAY, AK - DAY #5

Glacier Bay is one of the highlights of the Alaskan cruise.  I have to tell you that is what cool to see, but not my favorite.  Part of being in the National Park, the cruise ship cannot have any activities going on during that time.  It was 52 degrees and raining quite a bit.  I really couldn't stay out there that long for fear of freezing to death.

Brandon took a picture of me with the glacier.

I took a picture of him with the glacier.

Then, a lady came up to us and asked if she could take our picture together.  We agreed and afterwards, she told us something like this.  "When my husband and I go on vacation, there are always pictures of him, pictures of me, and by the time we get home and look through the pictures, it looks like we took separate vacations!"  We just laughed and laughed.

I'll spare you the whole roll, but here are several pictures of the scenery



A black and white view of the mountains as we were leaving

Water from the glacier making a waterfall

One interesting point that we learned was that every year, the height of this area increases as parts of the glacier slide off into the ocean.  The park ranger describe it as when you drop a bowling ball on memory foam and then lift it off.  The memory foam will slowly rise up to the original height.

After the glacier, I think that Brandon and I spent the day relaxing, napping, and enjoying the peace and quiet!

No comments: