Sunday, November 14, 2010

I AM THANKFUL #14

I am thankful for the visiting teaching program.


This program, set up through the Relief Society, is divinely inspired. For some, they may think that this is a lot of work or that they do not need visiting teachers. For me, I consider myself blessed to be able to visit 3 sisters each month with a wonderful partner. It makes me happy to know that I am sharing a message and hearing the concerns of others, and that through this, I am making a difference in their life and their family.


I also need to have my visiting teachers come. I am one that has been known to call them up and ask for a visit or for help when a need arises. I hope that they don't mind that I am so bold. I am grateful to have awesome, dedicated visiting teachers!!!


When I first get a new sister, I put together a handout that says, "If you are ever in a crunch, call us! Your visiting teachers:" with our names and numbers on it. I also include a crunch bar --- there's nothing wrong with chocolate.

Here is a little information from lds.org.

The purposes of Relief Society are accomplished through visiting teaching when sisters are given the opportunities to watch over, strengthen, and teach one another.

Visiting TeachersVisiting teaching is much more than a visit or sharing a thought with a sister. It is how we connect with one another. We share hearts and souls and extend charity, which is "the highest, noblest, strongest kind of love" (Bible Dictionary, "Charity," 632). Visiting teaching brings the love of the Lord to every home and to every sister. It is a sacred trust we have been given.

Why do sisters do visiting teaching? Mosiah describes it this way: "To bear one another's burdens, . . . to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort" (Mosiah 18:8–9).

Visiting teaching is the heart and soul of Relief Society. The purposes of visiting teaching are to build caring relationships with each sister and to offer support, comfort, and friendship. In visiting teaching, both the giver and the receiver are blessed and strengthened in their Church activity by their caring concern for one another.

This caring concern is described in Moroni 6:4: “And after they had been received unto baptism, . . . they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ; and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way.”

Elder Henry B. Eyring

To be named and numbered has special significance for those in need. Elder Henry B. Eyring describes it beautifully:

“You are called to represent the Savior. Your voice to testify becomes the same as His voice, your hands to lift the same as His hands. . . . Your calling is to bless lives. That will be true even in the most ordinary tasks you are assigned. . . . You see, there are no small callings to represent the Lord” (“Rise to Your Call,Ensign, Nov. 2002, 76).


No comments: